Friday, October 7, 2011

Turkey Coop, 10

We had our first rain of the year this week. It was a nice day's worth of rain but I wasn't quite ready for it. The turkey coop just has a plywood roof at this point. I needed to add something to waterproof it. I chose green corrugated polycarbonate. The green color seems so classic to me, it reminds me of my childhood. My uncle had a boat house with a green corrugated roof and I just loved the green light it created inside.

The sheets I got were 26"x12' so I had to cut them in half. The jigsaw did a good job but it melted all the pieces together.


I also got the scalloped support rails and screws with washers and gaskets already on them (spendy).

I had to go back to Home Depot twice because first I got screws that were too long and then screws that were too short. Luckily the HD is close to my house. I can actually see it from the top of the turkey coop.


Once I got back from my third trip the installation when pretty quickly. I screwed down one side of the roof in about an hour.


All the materials for the first half cost $150, about 3 times what I was expecting. The second half will have to wait a few weeks. I don't think we're supposed to get more rain for the rest of the month.

I love the way it looks. The polycarbonate is so sparkly in the sun.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete