Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Huntington

I went to the Huntington a few weeks ago with some friends to see the aloes in bloom. I feel lucky that it's so close and even luckier that my friend Samantha got me a membership for my birthday. I feel like my friends know me pretty well :)

It would have been worth it to pay the price of admission. The Huntington has so may well established aloes that it's a treat to see them blooming. We were there in the middle of the day so the sunlight was pretty intense and bad for photos, but I'm viewing this post more as documentation of some beautiful plants rather than proof of my skills.




These A. rubroviolacea had such beautiful sinuous trunks and floppy crowns it was like they fainted in the sun.

Even their bloom stalks leaned over.


This A. suzannae is a new favorite of mine. I like the unexpected grayish shark-like color and the leaves that curve upwards. Some of these leaves were 5 feet long.


I don't think it gets much better than this giant clump of A. vanbalenii. It's yellow blooms aren't as spectacular as some of the other aloes but the weighty twisty leaves lend it a sense of significance. The shady location of these keep them a deep, languorous green.








This is what most people came for: "Aloe Hill"

The photos don't do it justice. The reds and oranges are really intense. Especially against that blue sky.


I took a bunch of photos of agaves too. Maybe I'll save those for a separate post.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope to visit the Huntington again someday, and hopefully when the aloes are in bloom, how amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. can't wait to see the agaves!

    ReplyDelete