Monday, August 13, 2012

Huntington Plant Sale

I'm playing catch up a bit with posts so I'm going to make this fast. I went to the Huntington Plant Sale a few weeks ago. This was the first time I went as a member so we could go a day early. I wasn't sure if that would make a difference but I was still excited.


Agave desmettiana "Joe Hoaks"
I felt like the membership might have paid off when I saw this plant. A. desmettiana "Joe Hoaks." This plant has been on my wish list since I saw a beautiful specimen at the Inter City show last year.

Unfortunately this one seemed a bit fried on the ends. I'm sure I could have nursed it back to health but I wasn't keen on spending a lot of money on a plant that was clearly distressed. "Joe" is gaining popularity so I figured I'd run into him again. I took a pass.












These are the plants I ended up getting. Not a bad haul.













Agave "Blue Flame"
These A. "Blue Flame" are small, but some day I think they will make a nice contrast against my attenuatas. I'm still hoping to find some nice variegated attenuatas as well to make a nice varied clump. Hopefully it will come together in the next ten years or so.

Agave gueingola







I've been interested in the A gueingola since seeing it at the LA Arboretum. Maybe these are available all over the place now but I was still surprised to see them so quickly after they went on my wish list.











Dyckia marnier-lapostollei
I love the hard spikiness of dyckias but the big ones are always so expensive. I've been starting out small like with this one on that is only about 3.5" accross. The tag says that it will form clumps but not how big it will get.















Agave dasyliroides
The A. Dasyliroides will also form clumps. I've seen some mature ones in the Huntington's succulent garden that were almost 4' high and 3' across.

















Agave parrasana




















Agave scabra




















The last plant I got was the most exciting for me because it was on the top of my wish list. When I first wrote about it I didn't think I would ever find it but maybe it's been available to members all this time. It's hard to tell from this tiny offset, but one day this plant could be 20-30 feet across. Agave mapisaga var. lisa All of the big plants at the Huntington have bloomed but I guess they have enough offsets to offer them for sale.
Agave mapisaga var. lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment